This site is dedicated to the notion that the time has arrived to enjoy life. All the planning for the future has paid off. The future is here.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dahlias

Dahlias are a lot of work. Dahlias are beautiful.
Yesterday, I spent a couple hours tying up my dahlia plants. They outgrow their ability to hold themselves up. When planting in the spring, I drive a tall rebar into the ground before I bury the tuber. I make sure the sprouts of the tuber are near the rebar. About three times during the season, I have to tie the stalks to the stake.
To see many varieties of dahlias go to American Dahlia Society website. My all time favorite dahlia is April Dawn. It is much prettier when you see it in person. Photos are never as pretty as real life.
I do caution that you must still stop and smell the roses because dahlias are not known for their good smell. If you think dahlias smell good in a bouquet, it is because the florist sprayed them with a scent or there are other flowers in the bouquet that you are smelling.
I think I will go smell the roses now.
Kayak Bandit

No comments: