This site is dedicated to the notion that the time has arrived to enjoy life. All the planning for the future has paid off. The future is here.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

All Wound Up

When I was young, it was fun to play in my grandparent's attic with my cousin Chuck. There were interesting things to snoop through. But the very most fun was the old wind up phonograph. Here are the words to one of the songs I remember:

There'll be Smoke On The Water
On the Land and the Sea
When Our Army and Navy over-take the En-e-my
There'll be Smoke on the Mountain
Where the Heathen Gods Stay
And the Sun that is Shinin'
Will go Down on that Day.

Here is one we all remember. Oops I am dating myself. So maybe you don't remember.

Way down upon the Swanee River,
Far, far away
That's where my heart is turning ever
That's where the old folks stay
All up and down the whole creation,
Sadly I roam
Still longing for the old plantation
And for the old folks at home

Chorus:

All the world is sad and dreary everywhere I roam
Oh darkies, how my heart grows weary
Far from the old folks at home

I sure wanted one of those phonographs. When we first started playing it, the top of the phonograph was about the same height as me. I would stand on my tip toes to put the record on the turntable. Then when we got it wound up, we would turn it on by throwing this one lever. The song would start out just fine, but by the end of the record, the tune would start to slow down.

Yep, just another day in grandpa's attic.

Kayak Bandit

No comments: